Several studies have shown that MSM is a natural and cost-effective means to eliminate or substantially reduce preservative loading.
- Bergstrom 2008-2010 – Antibacterial Studies on numerous matrices
- Sample results from Study 1 conducted in TSB (tryptic soy broth)
- Study 2 confirmed results of Study 1 using a Second Independent Laboratory
A third study was conducted in a cosmetic matrix (Jojoba cream) Results met AET requirements for the following compendial references:
- United States Pharmacopeia Category 2
- Japanese Pharmacopeia Category 1B
- European Pharmacopeia Criteria 2
A fourth study conducted on two different cosmetic matrices with no other preservatives
- OptiMSM® at 10% concentration met criteria for above referenced compediums.
The last study determined bactericidal effects on E-coli at 48 hours using various concentrations
- 6-16% met AET requirements for USP, EP and JP
- Total kill achieved at 48 hours for concentrations 12-16% verified by enrichment